How to Make a Moist Cake


     Hello there. I am continuing my Tips & Tricks articles. I really hope that these articles are helping you become a better baker or at least they help you understand what's happening in your oven :) In this article, I will be talking about how to make a moist cake. I think we have all been there before. Spending hours on finding a perfect recipe, following it, and in result, we got a dry cake. For our luck, there are some tips that will help us get a delicious and moist cake every time.



     When it comes to baking and cakes and desserts, we definitely know that appearance is not everything. Not even the most amazingly decorated cake in the world can't make up for a dry texture. I would give up a beautiful cake for a delicious one any time. But let's make sure this will not be necessary. Here are my tips on how to make a moist cake.
     Choose a good recipe

   I know I've said this before, but choosing a good recipe is the key to a delicious and moist cake. When choosing a recipe from the internet, you should always read the comments or reviews. If a recipe is not good, and the cake is dry, you will definitely find some complaints.

     Do not over-bake your cake

     Although this might seem obvious, lots of people tend to over-bake a cake because they are afraid it's not baked enough. An over-baked cake will definitely be dry, and a little burnt. 
     How can you avoid over-baking a cake? First, make sure you follow the given oven temperature and time from the recipe. Do not open the oven until the given time passes. Once you open that door, the temperature will drop and your cake might sink. First, check your cake for doneness at the minimum time. If it's not done, use your judgment on how much more time it should spend in the oven. It's usually not more than 5-15 minutes.

     Use all the sugar you need to use

     I know that we should avoid sugar as much as we can. But when it comes to baking, that's something impossible to do. When a recipe requires an amount of sugar, use that amount of sugar. Don't use lees, and don't try to substitute.
     Sugar has the ability to attract water and to hold it. This basically means that sugar keeps the moisture in your cake, rather than having it evaporate during the baking process. If you cut on the sugar amount or try to substitute it, you will most definitely end up with a dry cake.
       If you are not comfortable with the amount of sugar from a recipe, just keep searching. I am sure that you will find the perfect recipe that you need.

     Use real butter

     If your recipe calls for butter, please use butter. I say this because I have heard and seen many people using margarine sticks, just because it says on the box that it's good for baking. 
     Margarine has too much water content in it. And it will alter your cake's texture. Better spend a few extra bucks, and choose real butter!

     Use syrup

     If for whatever reason your cake still ends up dry, don't panic. There is an easy solution: use syrup. If you're splitting up your cake into layers for filling it up, you can brush it with simple sugar syrup. Just mix equal parts of sugar and water, boil it and let it cool. And your syrup is done.
      You can take this to another level and use a special syrup to add more flavor to your cake. You can make syrup using vanilla extract, instant coffee or even liqueur (like Amaretto).
     These are my tips on How to Make a Moist Cake. Using these tips, I have successfully avoided possible disasters on many special occasions and dinner parties.
     Baking a cake from scratch is not such a big deal, but complications can appear during the process. As you can see, for every problem there is a solution. You just need to experience and learn more. You need to bake more.
     Do you have any other tips for a moist cake? Let me know in the comments. And make sure you share these tips with your family and friends.
Happy Baking!

14 comments :

  1. Never heard about the sugar syrup tip; wanna try that sometime!
    Paige Bainbridge (www.paigebainbridge.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I don't like the word moist (I shuddered typing it) I do like a moist cake! Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my gosh, yes. I love cake, and I hate when it's dry. I will try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the simple syrup idea. I made it daily when I worked in the restaurant biz, but never thought of it for moistening a dry cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks beautiful. Great tips, some I've never heard before (but I'm not a great baker, so honestly that's not surprising).

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's Look so yummy. I want this one in my breakfast. It would be a great partner with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great tips! I love a deliciously moist cake. I think that is why I love poke cakes so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't bake too often, but I'll use your tips to prepare something delicious for this weekend. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great tips! I’m a keen baker and will be testing these out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have much skills for baking so all the useful info you have shared is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At a time hard to make moist cake. Thank you for the helpful tips and will try them out next time when I make cake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are such helpful tips. I knew the one about using real butter but I wasn't aware that sugar made such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh, I've tried a few too many recipes that ended up a flop for me. Now I try to stick with some that have good reviews, although I do still chance it when I see something pretty unique.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use the sugar syrup tip and it has considerably improved the texture of the cakes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is a true delight for me, so please don`t be shy.