Most Common Baking Mistakes


     We all know that baking can be sometimes difficult. There are plenty of reasons why an amazing cake can become a big disappointment. Inspired by my own mistakes and some online research, it's clear that baking mistakes happen. A fun baking project can easily turn into a big frustration.
     When it comes to cooking you can be creative. With a pinch of this or a dash of that, you can cook something super delicious. But when it comes to baking, we should remember that it's a science and even the smallest mistake can result in a fail. Luckily, the most common baking mistakes can be easily avoided by following some guidelines.


         You don't follow the recipe

     I am sure that many of you are familiar with this one (I for one, surely am). We often see a great recipe, and we already see the changes we want to make with it. In baking ingredients are not just for the flavor, they are necessary for the chemistry of the recipe. Unless you're a professional baker, don't be tempted to substitute one ingredient for another. 
   
    Let's take for example butter and oil. They're both fats, but they don't work exactly the same; as oil makes a cake denser and moister than butter. Trying to substitute one with another will never work.

    If your recipe calls for sugar, use sugar. If your recipe calls for bread flour, use bread flour. There are so many recipes out there that you will definitely find the one that suits you. 
     Don't forget to read ahead of baking the recipe. This will help you know what ingredients and equipment you will need.

          You don't use room temperature ingredients

     If your recipe doesn't call otherwise, you should always use room temperature ingredients. As I said before, baking is a science. Let's take butter as an example. If the butter is too cold, it will not cream properly. This means that your resulted baked good will not be creamy and fluffy enough.
     Speaking of butter, there are some easy tips to soften it, if you forgot to take it out from the fridge. Check out this article, and learn how to soften butter quickly.
          Your ingredients are out of date

     Always make sure that that your ingredients are not out of date. For example, if you use expired baking powder or baking soda, your cake will definitely not rise as it should.
     Don't forget to also check your flour, oil, milk and even eggs. If you need some tips on how to test eggs for freshness, I have an article that will help you. Just click right here.


          You are not measuring your ingredients accurately

     I know I talk a lot about the ingredients, but that's because they're very important for any kind of recipe. And there are some small mistakes you can do to ruin your baked good.
      While adding a few more strawberries to your cake will not affect it in a negative way, you must be careful when measuring the main ingredients (flour, sugar, liquids, baking soda, baking powder). 
     When you are not precise in measuring the ingredients, the result can be a disaster. You can negatively impact your cake's consistency and density. Remember that precise measurement is the right way to successful baking.
     A little extra tip that I have learned over the years: before you start, prepare ahead all your ingredients. It will be easier if you have all the ingredients you need already measured.

        You don't preheat your oven

     Even if your recipe doesn't call for this, you should always preheat your oven. Your recipe calls for a given time at a certain temperature. If you don't preheat your oven, your baked good will spend more time in the oven at different temperatures. This will prevent your baked good from browning or rising properly. Please remember to always preheat your oven!



          You're opening your oven door too soon

     I know that what's in the oven smells delicious and you are anxious to see if it's done or not. But it's not a good idea to keep opening the oven door. Each time you open that door, the temperature from the oven goes down. When this happens, it prevents your cake from rising, and it slows down the baking process.
     So just be patient, and let your cake bake at least 3/4 of the time given before opening the oven door.

         You don't let your cake cool

     This might seem the hardest thing to do: to let that delicious baked good cool. But it's a very important step, that you shouldn't ignore. The final texture and volume of your cake will be at it's best when it's cooled. 
     I recommend using a wire rack. This allows air to circulate and will prevent a soggy bottom. If you try to cut a warm cake, your risk to tear it apart, making it crumble.
     It's also important to let a cake completely cool before decorating it. If you put buttercream on a warm cake, it will definitely melt.
           While experienced bakers certainly don't encounter these baking mistakes, for those of us (me included) who are home bakers, these tips are very welcomed.
     Now that you know some of the most common baking mistakes, and how to avoid them, it will be easier for you to try out that amazing recipe you saved on your Pinterest board. What you have to do next is keep practicing!
    Remember to share these tips with your loved ones!
    Happy Baking!


     

29 comments :

  1. I have learned a while ago about the importance of using only room temperature ingredients. I still struggle with resisting opening the oven door too early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a terrible baker mostly because I am impatient and tend not to follow things through to the end. That being said I'm learning.

    I also wasn't aware that there were so many other things that could go wrong!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Actually they are the same mistakes that I make. Now I understand why many times I didn't get the results I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super helpful. I love to bake but sometimes I make mistakes. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I'm sure I'm guilty of a few of these. I do make sure my butter is the right temperature for butter cream though as it won't work well otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, I do all of these. I am a terrible baker. I try, but something always burns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband needs to read this. He is not allowed to bake as he never follows the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally guilty of some of these. I especially am bad about not using room temperature eggs. I know I should but I always seem to forget.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to agree that preheating the oven can make such a huge difference when it comes to getting any kind of baking done successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always tease my sister about the measuring part of baking. She doesn't seem to realize that the reason her baked goods never turn out right is because she is rushing and not following the directions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is made for me, I'm not good at baking...now I can see why. But I do preheat the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I may actually do all of these things haha that explains a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have definitely had my share of baking mistakes and improvising has been one of the worst ones! I think your post will help many new bakers learn from many of our mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Luckily I Learned these tips from my mother (a baker) at a very young age!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the tips. I am guilty of substituting or replacing oil with butter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hahahah I learned the not following the recipe the hard way. Was my first time to bake and mae the cookie batter so wet that my cookies became cake. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahaha. This sounds about me most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been baking a lot more recently, and these are some great tips! Until recently i was using things like eggs and butter cold from the fridge, but am now trying to make more of an effort to bring things to room temperature first.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yep, I've done a few of these before! I think my hardest is having ingredients at room temperature because I don't realize it needs to be until I am ready to bake most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. For the longest time I was like - WTF is the point of baking soda and powder. HA! And then one day I used some and BAM - what a friggin' DIFFERENCE!!!!! I will never NOT use it now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are great tips! I usually forget about taking the eggs out beforehand!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am totally guilty of some of these mistakes. Especially not following 100% of the recipe. I love to substitute ingredients...lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is really helpful. I’ve certainly made a few of these mistakes over the years, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Honestly, I never use room temperature ingredients. This is my biggest downfall when I try a new recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. There are actually some really good tips and hints here for sure. I agree you have to follow the recipe by the letter

    ReplyDelete
  26. My mom always used to make us some nice desserts and when it fails, she doesn't want to even talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good luck with your baking projects

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is one of my mistake before opening your oven door too soon and don't let your cake cool.Sometimes we really learn from our mistakes:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes! I've actually made one of these before. Never easy.

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is a true delight for me, so please don`t be shy.