How to cut a cake?


     Cutting a cake might seem like such an easy thing to do. Until you manage to fail right in front of your in-laws or other special guests. How can you fail by cutting a cake, you might ask. It's simple: the knife can stick to your cake (or frosting, or cream) causing it to tear apart. And you will be left with a slice of crumbs. I have made this mistake many times until I learned how to cut a cake properly.



     The most important thing you need to be careful about is your knife. You have to choose your cutting knife according to the type of cake you need to cut. And remember that after cutting a slice, you need to clean your knife with a clean cloth.

        How to cut a layered cake?

     Cutting a layered cake, a pound cake or any kind of cake with a soft crumb can easily end in a disaster. I recommend using a long, thin-bladed knife (slicing knife). Use a gentle sawing motion, and the knife will work its way into your cake delicately. 
     If you choose to use a thick-bladed knife or a serrated knife, you will end up with lots of crumbs.



        How to cut a fluffy cake?

     Cutting a fluffy cake like a chiffon cake or an angel food cake can also be tricky. Giving the fact that these cakes are very light, using the wrong knife can compress them when cutting.
     I recommend using a serrated knife and gently cut into the cake with a sawing motion, to keep the cake's airiness.



        How to cut a cheesecake?

     To properly cut a cheesecake (or any other dense cakes) I recommend using a sharp, thin-bladed slicing knife. But there's a catch here: you should rinse your knife in hot water and then dry it with a clean towel between cuts. In this way, you will prevent the cake from sticking to the knife.




     I know how important it is to present our desserts to their best advantage. And that also included that you should know how to cut a cake properly. As you can see, it's really not a big deal, if you know which knife to use according to your type of cake.
     Remember that it's important to clean your knife properly after every slicing.
     Do you happen to know any other tips on cutting a cake? Make sure you let me know in the comments. Don't forget to share these tips with your family and friends!
     Happy Baking!



21 comments :

  1. I remember looking at a cake maker cutting a cake at a function and it was just amazing! not one little bit got wasted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, great idea. I'm terrible at cutting cakes. Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know this. I normally just dive in with a knife! It's not always pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are tips that need to try. I hope I can cut the cake perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cutting cake is harder than it looks!!! One trick I learned years ago is to cut cheesecake with either thread or un-minted floss. It works amazingly well!!!
    As far as regular cake, even with a thin clean knife, it is difficult. I am not nearly as good as a professional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Believe it or not, but I needed to read this. I'm so bad at cutting cake correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah! I always have a problem with layered cakes! hahaha They always disintegrate. Nice guide!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such great tips I am always trying to cut a cake the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such great tips! I am horrific at cutting cakes!! I'll have to try these tips next time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think every person in the world needs to read these lol! We all need these tips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so helpful. I will definitely use these techniques during the holidays to cut the perfect slice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a "simple" this that really isnt so simple right? Love the advice thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These tips are spot on. Cake cutting can be stressful for a party if you don't know what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good tips. We always make sure our knife is sharp. It's also easier if the cake is chilled.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to try the warm water trick next time we have cheesecake. I always have a hard time getting that out without making a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are some super helpful tips on cake cutting techniques. Thanks for sharing ☺

    ReplyDelete
  17. cutting a cake can be so difficult! For my 40th birthday the lady who did my cake gave me some special instructions, similar to what you do here and it was so useful! Thank you for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  18. There are some really good hints and tips here. If you do not cut a cake right sometimes it can crumble and look messy xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I didn't know how to cut a cake properly! Thanks for the super helpful tips!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really timely post for me with my sons birthday this week! I always mess this up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My cakes usually look like a crime scene after I cut them. lol. This was so helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is a true delight for me, so please don`t be shy.